This "Limbo Blog" will hopefully contain moments of the undeniably funny. Which, if I'm lucky, will be awesome.
Warning: Some material found here may be offensive to some readers. Especially those with morals of any kind. So please read at your own risk. The content is in no way condoned, shared with or express the same views and/or thoughts of the author. Except a couple.
The Essence Of Awesome. A place for all pseudo-intellectuals everywear.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

What Did You Just Say?

As many of you may already know, I'm always trying to help our posterity prosper. I believe that they’re the way to the future and all that other jumble wumble hippy talk. I mean, I bought about 12 of them in Africa. So don’t try and tell me that I don’t care.
So this is why I’ve set out to help today’s young ones, with their serious problem with our English language. Statistics show that around 73% of people under the age of 17, don’t know what an apostrophe is. I see this as an utter catastrophe. And 54% of people under 14 can’t even spell blasphemy. So don’t you see?

It’s only a matter of time until we’re using pictures again to communicate. It’s up to me and even you all, to, for lack of a better term, nip this little problem in the urethra. Which is much more effective then the bud. Because I’ll be damned if I ever have to go back to using a drawing of a middle finger to express my anger towards someone.

I haven’t yet been able to decipher why this is so. But these kids, our young ones, our future, refuse, absolutely will not use the words that were expertly crafted for our daily use….correctly.


Take the word “mad” for instance. Now to everyone with….intelligence. Not saying that these kids don’t have any though. This word is most commonly used to express ones anger towards someone or even something. And according to my good friend Encarta, who actually is throwing a rather large and probably extravagant dinner party. You should all really come. It’s probably going to be a ton of fun.

mad [mad]
adj (comparative mad·der, superlative mad·dest)
1. very angry: affected by great displeasure or anger
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

But for some unexplainable reason, “mad” now has some new meaning. But this so called “new meaning” it has…..makes no sense whatsoever. I can understand how, a word that’s been used for, almost ever, how it may not make sense that all of a sudden, it could now have a new connotation. So let me give you an example of what I mean.

“I received mad admiration, a fort night ago at the game.” Now, with the use of mad here, the speaker isn’t even trying to express any anger. But instead, the speaker is attempting to emphasize the vast amount of admiration he received. At I guess some type of sporting event. However, the word mad, doesn’t have any type of number associated with it. Sort of like how dozen means 12. Now, if the example, instead went something like “I received grand amounts of admiration, a fort night ago at the game.” This other, more reasonable way, isn’t only more reasonable but it also allows for the speaker to stay hip and in with his pals.

Now I’m a fairly reasonable, understanding guy. Maybe I’m just taking this too far out of context. It could just be a replacement for a lot. In which case, you should just use a lot. I mean, It’s there for a reason. It’s one thing to completely change the entire meaning of a word. But to neglect another is……well I’d rather not start down that rabbit hole.

4 comments:

jodifosterturkeybaster said...

whoa. i thought I knew gay, then I read this blog.

Anonymous said...

sweet vid

Mike said...

Yes. My very first negative remark. And a darn good one at that.

elaine x said...

what a great entry ... i liked the cadence and rhyming that it flowed with, lovely. as for the sentiment ... don't get too attached to 'fad' words ... after all, we all remember 'eubonics', don't we ... besides, words are forever changing in meaning over time ... usually for the benefit of whoever wants to control the ideas and notions of the masses. its fun to look at a dictionary from as recently as the 50's or 60's and today's meanings -- which definitions have left our 'learned' or 'educated' resources in favor of the contemporary usage definitions that have rendered those more ancient meanings obsolete ... which, of course, leads to our ignorant society we have today.

haven't been by in a while ... your blog is wonderful and improving ... keep up the good work!

peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'